Loading the player ...
- Offer Profile
- Rethink Robotics Meets German Engineering
As a pioneer in the field of collaborative robotic solutions, Rethink Robotics GmbH is a strong and reliable partner that supports manufacturers of every size and every industry in automating their value chain with an innovative and advanced combination of hardware and software. Sawyer is a flexible, easy to use, high-performing lightweight robot, which was developed specifically to take over precision tasks with an embedded Cognex Vision System. It is controlled by its specially engineered software and operating system Intera, which is meanwhile available in version 5 and continues to be updated. Due to his safe design and the intuitive way to teach him, Sawyer is highly accepted by employees.
Sawyer BLACK Edition
- In the BLACK Edition, Sawyer remains the easy to use, flexible and highly accepted collaborative robot.
One year after the takeover of the assets by the HAHN Group, Rethink Robotics presents the Sawyer BLACK Edition. The improved hardware is based on the combination of German engineering competence and many years of application experience. Cobot Sawyer is now quieter and more durable with a higher product quality.
The use of the Sawyer BLACK Edition contributes to a quieter work
environment and makes the Cobot with the friendly face even more popular
among employees. Thanks to its robot arm with 7 degrees of freedom and a
range of 1,260 mm, Sawyer can also be used where there is no space for human
employees. Possible areas of application include tasks that are dangerous or
monotonous for humans, such as CNC machine assembly, circuit board assembly,
metal processing, injection molding, packaging, loading and unloading, as
well as tests and inspections. The Cobot solution is ready for use
immediately after delivery and equipped with the powerful Intera software
and two camera systems.
The human workforce quickly accepts Sawyer, thanks to his friendly design. Sawyer is delivered as an out-of-the-box Cobot solution, equipped with the powerful Intera software and two integrated camera systems. The built-in force-sensing capabilities allow Sawyer, also as BLACK Edition, to make adaptive decisions while executing tasks. This way he can perform his tasks quickly and accurately, but without becoming a danger to his human colleagues.
Software Driven Hardware: Easy application
A collaborative robot manufacturer that provides a cobot solution with a powerful, easy to use software – the Intera software - that is continually updated and delivers production metrics in real-time. The combination of hardware and software, together with the ClickSmart gripper technology, allows Sawyer to be deployed faster and easier in more tasks and applications, and without time-consuming customization. The robot can be trained by simply demonstrating the procedure moving its arm. The robot is up and running to perform a task within a matter of minutes and easy to use. That’s the Rethink difference – Intera makes Sawyer fast and easy to deploy.
Vacuum Foam Gripper Kit (VFG): Designed for applications where different sized parts need to be picked or where surfaces are uneven. The kit includes: 1 foam vacuum gripper and analog vacuum sensor for intelligent behaviors. The foam gripper is 80 mm diameter
- High Resolution Force Control: Highly accepted by employees
While traditional industrial robots have to be kept behind cages, Sawyer is inherently safe, designed to work alongside people, and certified that it meets ISO requirements by TÜV Rheinland (ISO 10218-1:2011 and PLd Cat. 3). The safetyness in combination with his friendly eyes makes Sawyer not only higly accepted but also popular among employees.
Thanks to sensitive torque sensors embedded into every joint, Sawyer’s built in force-sensing allows constant force control where delicate part insertion is critical, or to use force feedback in tasks where verification of properly seated parts is needed. By controlling both force and position, Saywer controls the amount of force it applies to different directions, the same way people do when performing tasks, eliminating the need for additional sensors or hardware.
The Sawyer Applications
Industrial automation can solve labor issues, increase productivity and improve quality. But which manufacturing process should you automate? The industrial applications below make use of Sawyer’s unique cobot features and have been proven to provide a quick return on investment. Read more in the guide below on how to automate tasks with collaborative robots, and learn how to put Sawyer to work.
Pick & Place
Almost every plant in the world operates some form of line loading and unloading. Rethink Robotics’ smart, collaborative robot Sawyer provides a great solution for the monotonous, yet critically important jobs of moving parts to/from tables, conveyors, and fixtures. The ability to maintain counts, re-orient parts and place them into position makes Sawyer a natural fit.
Plastic Injection & Blow Molding
With growing customer demand for product customization, Sawyer, the smart collaborative robot, delivers a cost-effective, high performance factory automation tool for injection molders seeking machine tending, product inspection, and material handling capabilities – all in one, adaptable system.
PCB Handling & ICT
- PCB handling and ICT have historically been applications that were difficult to automate due to the delicate nature of parts and the frequency of line changeovers. Sawyer, the high performance, easy to use, flexible and popular collaborative robot, was designed specifically to handle these types of tasks. With its rapid redeployment capabilities, Sawyer can drop into a customer’s existing environment without having to significantly re-configure the existing infrastructure. In addition, the ability to “feel” its way into position makes the cobot ideal for these applications.
Testing & Quality Inspection
Testing systems have historically been found only on high volume production lines. Now, Rethink Robotics’ collaborative robot delivers the complete package that includes multi-point inspection using a single camera, full digital traceability of results, and error-proof processing.
Metal Stamping & Press Tending
Working with metal forming and stamping machines can be dirty, dull and dangerous work. And many processes still require the “human touch.” But Sawyer, the easy to use, flexible, collaborative robot, is a high performer in these tasks and can adapt to constantly changing line configurations, precisely loading and unloading parts, and tending to complex machinery.
CNC Machine Tending
Machine tending is one of the most boring jobs in any plant. Easy to use and flexible Sawyer´s ability to integrate with CNC machines makes the cobot a great solution for coordinating the varied cycle times, loading and unloading of parts, supporting finishing operations, and other machine interactions.
Co-Packing & End-of-Line Packaging
- The easy to use and flexible, collaborative robot Sawyer is well suited for a wide range of packaging applications. From the repetitive demands of case packing, to the high variability requirements of 3PL providers, Rethink Robotics’ robot is on the job packing raw materials, finished goods and multi-pack cases for many different types of products and containers.
- The Intera 5 software platform provides an easy-to-deploy approach to industrial automation. The software innovation drives manufacturing productivity around the world and enables a high acceptance of the new robot co-workers of your staff. Rethink Robotics GmbH provides increased functionality and capabilities through frequent software releases. To this day, the Intera 5 software platform that was developed to control Sawyer remains the most innovative operating system in collaborative robotics.
Easy to use (really!)
Many vendors call their robots easy to use, but our Intera software platform has a graphical user interface that lets you train the robot, even if you have never written a line of code or programmed a robot before. Using our industry leading train-by-demonstration capabilities, anyone can interact directly with the robot’s arm to easily train tasks.
Intera features a powerful user interface called Intera Studio that lets users access robot tasks and fine-tune the details of the task from their laptop. Intera Studio gives you the ability to create, modify, and monitor tasks quickly, while getting advanced capabilities to control the robot.
Intera Insights provides critical production metrics directly on the robot, and can identify production anomalies before they become problems. Key Performance Indicators, such as cycle times and part counts, are accessible on the factory floor in real time. The same customizable data is also fed to Intera Studio, providing visibility to other team members.
Vision: Inside and Out
Sawyer has an embedded Cognex Vision System in the arm that allows the robot to locate objects or inspect for part presence. This vision system enables the Robot Positioning System (RPS) that looks for changes in the robots environment and automatically responds to work-cell variation. You can also seamlessly integrate external cameras in minutes and drastically reduce typical machine vision integration costs.
Rapid Return on Investment
Rethink provides a completely integrated cobot solution: robot arm, Intera software platform, ClickSmart gripper technology, embedded vision, force sensing, and production level metrics in real time. This integrated approach enables fast deployments and provides a rapid return on investment.
Industries for Collaborative Robots
- Rethink’s easy to use and fast to deploy collaborative robot Sawyer can provide flexible and reliable industrial automation to countless industries. Here are just a few examples showcasing Sawyercobots at work.
Automotive Supply Chain
- Traditional industrial robots have been utilized by automotive and auto part manufacturers for many years, doing high speed operations behind cages. Our smart, collaborative robots (cobots) can join workers on the line with flexibility – whether it’s handling materials, machine tending, performing test and inspection, packing finished goods – wherever there is a monotonous, repetitive task.
- Unlike other collaborative robots, Rethink Robotics cobots with built in force sensing are perfectly suited for the delicate work of handling electronic components, protecting fragile parts and expensive fixtures. Sawyeris easy to drop into an existing environment and fast to deploy, making it a cost-effective, high-performance automation tool for PCB handling and ICT (In-circuit testing).
- Many manufacturers are affected by seasonal activity and variability in customer demand. Ramping labor up and down is not unusual, but it can be hard to staff and even harder to remain competitive. Rethink Robotic´s smart, collaborative robots (cobots) are flexible and very easy to deploy, they can manage demand peaks, third shifts and seasonal requirements across many different lines. If you are interested in renting your cobot in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland, HAHN RobShare within the robotics division of the HAHN Group, is your partner for robot rental solutions.
- Working in metal fabrication typically involves dirty, dull and dangerous work. Rethink Robotic´s smart, collaborative robot (cobot) never complains about these types of jobs and is perfect for taking on the tasks most humans prefer to steer clear of, allowing people to work in safer environments and take on more value-added tasks. Cobots like Sawyer, meanwhile, are ideal for automating repetitive metal fab tasks such as machine tending and loading and unloading parts. This makes Sawyer very popular among employees.
Packaging and Co-Packing
- Contract-driven production, promotional packaging, seasonal demand, shorter product life cycles. Companies handling these challenges value flexibility – and flexibility is where the smart, collaborative robot (cobot) Sawyer excels. The ability to be deployed easily, flexibly and quickly makes Sawyer ideal for adapting to short runs and for switching from product to product as needed.
Plastics Factory Automation
- Injected molded plastics are in so many products we use every day. The lightweight nature of parts makes them a great fit for Rethink Robotic´s smart, collaborative robot (cobot). From loading and unloading injection molding machines, to kitting plastic components, to packaging finished parts into blister packs, to packing containers for shipping, one thing is certain – Sawyergives customers the ability to automate almost anything.