- Offer Profile
- Hamamatsu has been working
with the Photon for more than 50 years. We have established ourselves as the
top company of photoelectron conversion technologies in the world. However,
we have yet to fully grasp the nature of the Photon and its potential. The
more you study, the more you realize how little you know about the Photon
and its applications. That is why we continue to move ahead vigorously with
basic research and apply what we learn to photonics.
- Si photodiodes manufactured utilizing our unique
semiconductor process technologies cover a broad spectral range from the
near infrared to ultraviolet and even to high-energy regions. They also
feature high-speed response, high sensitivity and low noise.
- The APD (avalanche photodiode) is a high sensitivity
photodiode that operates at high speeds and high gain by applying a reverse
bias. Delivers a higher S/N than PIN photodiodes and is widely used in
optical rangefinders, spatial light transmission, scintillation detectors,
MPPC (multi-pixel photon counters)
- Silicon Photomultiplier (multi-pixel photon counters)
The MPPC is a new type of photon counting device made up of multiple APD (avalanche photodiode) pixels operated in Geiger mode and available in room temperature operation.
- Hamamatsu Photonics develops and manufactures image
sensors with high sensitivity and a wide dynamic range that are ideal for
high precision measurement such as spectrophotometry, as well as industrial
- The photo IC is an intelligent optical sensor with
diverse functions and integrates a photodiode with signal processing IC in
the same package. Phototransistors are also provided.
- Detectors with sensitivity to wavelengths above 1 µm.
Careful selection of material combinations allows offering a variety of
types that cover a broad spectral range.
visible light sensors
- Spectral response of these sensors is close to that of
the human eye.
- Hamamatsu provides single-color sensors that are
sensitive to red, green and blue light, as well as RGB color sensors.
MEMS-FPI spectrum sensor
- The MEMS-FPI spectrum sensor is a ultra-compact
sensor that houses a MEMS-FPI (Fabry-Perot Interferometer) tunable
filter that can vary its transmission wavelength depending on the
applied voltage and InGaAs PIN photodiode in a single package.
- Position sensitive detectors (PSD) are optoelectronic
position sensors utilizing photodiode surface resistance. Unlike discrete
element detectors such as CCD, PSD provides continuous position data (X or Y
coordinate data) and features high position resolution and high-speed
- MSM (Metal-Semiconductor-Metal) Photodetectors having
X-ray flat panel sensors
- X-ray flat panel sensors using the world's largest CMOS
image sensor combined with a FOS deliver higher S/N, higher speed and wider
dynamic range compared to flat panel sensors using amorphous materials.
- Hamamatsu provides a wide variety of opto-semiconductor
modules developed by our own module technology capable of extracting the
maximum performance from opto-semiconductors.
Electron tube detectors
- The micro PMT is the world’s first PMT to be fabricated
through the use of semiconductor processes for MEMS
(micro-electro-mechanical systems) devices. Its prototype is thinner than
the smallest PMT that Hamamatsu currently offers. By comparison, the
microPMT has only 1/7th the volume and 1/9th the weight. Due to this
extremely small size, it is expected that microPMTs will contribute to the
development of more compact instruments for medical diagnostics,
environmental monitoring, and applications in many other fields.
- (photomultiplier tubes)
In the photosensor field, photomultiplier tubes (or PMT) are known to have
particularly high sensitivity. PMT also have dozens of other advantages such
as high-speed response time.
- The PMT module is basically comprised of a
photomultiplier tube to convert light into electrical signals, a
high-voltage power supply circuit, and a voltage divider circuit to
distribute the optimum voltage to each dynode, all assembled into a single
compact case. In addition to these basic PMT modules, Hamamatsu also
provides modules having various additional functions such as signal
processing, cooling and interface to PC.
- Photomultiplier tube assemblies are made up of a
photomultiplier tube, a voltage divider circuit and other components, all
integrated into a single case.
Accessories for PMT
- Phototubes are photodetectors widely utilized in
applications such as chemical and medical analysis and laser measurement.
- Electron multiplier tubes are also called electron multipliers or ion
multipliers, and are used to detect electrons, ions, charged particles,
vacuum ultraviolet rays, and soft X-rays, etc.
Flame sensors/UV TRON
- UVTRON is an ultraviolet ON / OFF sensor tube that uses
the photoelectric effect of metal and gas multiplication effect of electric
current by means of discharge. It has a very narrow range of sensitivity
from 185 nm to 300 nm and is completely insensitive to visible light.
Because it used the discharge phenomenon, its sensitive is high and an
adequate output voltage is obtained, making it possible to design a
high-sensitivity, quick response ultraviolet detection with simple
- (microchannel plates)
MCP is an electron multiplier that detects and multiplies electrons in two
dimensions. MCP is also sensitive to ions, vacuum UV rays, X-rays and gamma
rays and so can also be used as devices to detect their position and energy.
Image intensifiers (I.I.)
- Image intensifiers produce high-contrast images even
under dark conditions, and are used for night-time (surveillance) viewing as
well as for scientific and technical research.
Image intensifier unit
- High-speed gated image intensifier units (hereafter gated
I.I. units) are able to capture an "instantaneous image" of high-speed
phenomena occurring within extremely short time durations by means of "gate
operation (shutter operation)".
- These are flat panel devices for X-ray imaging. These
devices can be directly coupled to a commercial CCD for real-time
radiography and so are being used in an expanding range of fields.
Fast decay phosphor
- For electron beam detection, high speed and long life phosphor.
Hybrid photo detector
- The HPD (Hybrid photo detectors) are completely new PMTs
that contain a semiconductor device within an electron tube (vacuum tube).
Photoelectrons emitted from the photocathode are directly bombarded onto the
semiconductor to multiply the photoelectrons. This method allows efficient
electron multiplication with less noise.
- Lamp, LED, Laser diode, Applied light source product,
- With just one OSG you can freely select any desired wavelength in 1 nm steps with wavelength tuning at 50 nm per second. Product lineup gives a light emission spectrum ranging from 390 to 700 nm, 430 to 790 nm, and 700 to 1300 nm as a standard product feature. Emits light at any desired wavelength with high reproducibility by delivering a spectral bandwidth of approximately 20 nm. This featuremakes the OSG the ideal light source for evaluations and tests that demand higher accuracy than ever.
RF electric discharge type excimer lamp
- With conventional dielectric barrier discharge, a needle-shaped microplasma discharge occurs at 10 kHz operation, which results in uneven illumination. By contrast, high-frequency RF discharge produces a cloudlike glow discharge at 2 MHz operation, which results in highly uniform illumination. This feature enables the excimer lamp to provide stable output with minimal flickering.
UV-LED light sources (Linear irradiation)
- Linear irradiation type UV-LED unit has stacked up many
successes with many customers. In this unit, "High output" that has been a
problem for UV LED is realized in order to address customer needs while
maintaining the feature that needs no exhaust duct installation and no
UV-LED light sources (Spot irradiation)
- UV-LED light sources emit UV light at 365 nm (or 385 nm).
This reduces costly down time from having shut the production line down to
Spot light sources
- UV spot light sources that provide optimal conditions for
UV adhesive curing and UV to visible spot light sources for all types of
applications including R&D and small lot production.
Flash light sources
- Selecting the desired optical system components such as
the lightguide allows the flash light source to emit a variety of different
types of light.
UV-VIS fiber light sources
- This is UV-Visible fiber light source for complete range
of portable systems. There are two types, L10671 and L10290. The L10671
contains S2D2 (Stable & Small Deuterium) lamp and tungsten lamp which emits
range of 200nm to 1600nm. The L10290 contains high brightness deuterium lamp
and tungsten halogen lamp which emits range of 200nm to 1600nm.
UVCL (Ultra Violet Cathode emitting Light source)
- UVCL is deep UV light source that realized mercury free by utilizing excited luminescence from electron beam.
Calibrated light sources
- These light sources deliver the extremely high levels of "stability" and "repeatability" essential to calibrated light sources. These are available as an optimal set including a lamp, lamp housing and power supply, so that anyone can easily reproduce a highly stable light output. Note: Manufactured upon receiving your order.
VUV light source units
- VUV light source units are vacuum ultraviolet light
source unit that incorporates a deuterium lamp with an MgF2 window.
Compact D2 lamp modules
- The S2D2 compact deuterium lamp is a UV point light
source with a drastically reduced size compared to ordinary deuterium lamps.
Despite a compact body, the S2D2 lamp has the same high stability as
conventional deuterium lamps and a unique electrode structure that delivers
high luminance. This compact size of the S2D2 module makes it easy to
install in all types of equipment. The dedicated lamp housing and power
supply are designed to extract maximum performance from the S2D2 lamp.
Xenon flash lamp modules
- Xenon flash lamp modules are compact devices that integrate a xenon flash lamp (2W or 5W), power supply, and trigger socket. They provide high intensity, high repetition flashes across a broad spectrum from ultraviolet to infrared.
H2D2 light source units
- The H2D2 light source unit contains a high-brightness,
high-end deuterium lamp (H2D2 lamp) that emits light at a brightness 6 times
higher than our current deuterium lamps (L2D2 lamps). Despite its high
brightness, the H2D2 is highly stable, has a long service life, and allows
air-cooled operation by a specially designed housing.
Laser diode head
- Picosecond level pulsed laser to be used for evaluation
of fiber optics and detectors.
- The Photoionizer is a completely new type of
electrostatic remover using "photoionization" for clean, easy, yet effective
generation of ions. The Photoionizer provides big advantages over the corona
discharge method which is generally used.
- The L12542 is a newly developed electrostatic charge
remover that makes use of VUV (vacuum ultraviolet) light. Due to its wide
irradiation angle about 3 times larger than our current VUV light source,
the L12542 efficiently removes electrostatic charges over large areas in
depressurized or vacuum environments. Up until now two or more VUV light
sources were needed to neutralize electrostatic charges in large areas due
to their limited irradiation angle.
Terahertz wave generator/detector module
- Integrated module of photoconductive antenna chip and
lens for THz electromagnetic wave.
Stealth dicing engine
- In stealth dicing, a laser beam at a wavelength capable
of transmitting through the material is condensed on an internal point in
LD heating light source
LD heating light source（LD-HEATER）is a compact, sophisticated spot-heater
including a temperature monitoring function.
LD Irradiation Light Source (SPOLD)
- LD Irradiation Light Source (SPOLD) is a laser
irradiation light source integrating a fiber output LD module and its driver
and a Peltier cooler into a compact unit.
- Xenon lamps emit a continuous spectrum with high
luminance and high color temperature, ranging from the UV to visible to
Xenon flash lamps
- Compared to DC mode lamps, xenon flash lamps are compact,
generate little heat and emit a continuous spectrum with high intensity in
the UV to visible to infrared range.
- These are the next generation of deuterium lamps that
deliver the high stability, high output and long service life required in
deuterium lamps for spectrophotometry.
Deuterium lamp for photoionization
- The L13301 and L7293 are photoionization light sources that emit light with energy up to 10.78 eV. Photoionization is so-called “soft ionization” that offers advantages over other ionization methods.
Hollow cathode lamps
- Hollow cathode lamps are metal-vapor discharge lamps
specifically developed for atomic absorption spectroscopy.
- Light emitting diodes (LED) are opto-semiconductors that
convert electric energy into light energy. Compared to laser diodes (LD),
LEDs offer advantages such as lower cost and longer service life. Hamamatsu
provides high output power LED ideal for optical switches, encoders,
surveying and optical communication.
CW Laser diode (CWLD)
- These LDs are designed to be driven in continuous wave (CW). Output power is
from mW to a few W.
Pulsed Laser diode (PLD)
- These LDs feature high peak power under pulsed operation.
Super luminescent diode (SLD)
- Offering both the high brightness of LDs and low coherence of LEDs, SLDs
work as a high-brightness light source.
Quantum cascade laser (QCL)
- Quantum cascade lasers are semiconductor lasers that offer peak emission in
the mid-IR range (4 um to 10 um).
High-power Laser Diode Bar Module
- With their emitting areas arranged in line to make a
linear array, LD bar modules achieve high performance, high output power and
high reliability when coupled with cooling devices.
DDL (Direct diode laser)
- (Direct diode laser)
DDL is a laser source that irradiates a focused laser beam from a high power
LD module directly onto a target.
Fiber Output Laser Diode Bar Module (FOLD)
- (Fiber out laser diode)
FOLD (fiber out laser diode) is a fiber-coupled type of DDL.
Microfocus X-ray sources
- Microfocus X-ray sources were specifically developed for
X-ray nondestructive inspection. A small focal point prevents blurring of
X-ray images and delivers a sharp enlarged image. An RS-232C interface is
provided as standard for external control. These microfocus X-ray sources
also yield clear, sharp enlarged X-ray images even during 3D observation.
- The optical blocks are compact units that contain
components such as bandpass filters and dichroic mirrors. They are designed
for low light level measurements that use PMT modules and high-sensitivity
- The C10516 scan block is an optical block that combines galvano scanners with a telecentric fθ (F-theta) lens designed for laser beam scanning in the visible range.
- (fiber optic plates)
The FOP is an optical device comprised of a bundle of micron-sized optical
fibers. The FOP is used as a lens to convey the light and image with high
efficiency and low distortion.
- The J10919 series FAC lens is an optical lens that
collimates light spreading from a semiconductor laser in the fast-axis
direction. Semiconductor lasers have a large divergence angle in the
fastaxis direction, so the output light cannot be efficiently used unless
Collimating capillary lens
- The J12432-01 capillary lens is an optical element for X-rays, consisting of a bundle of numerous hollow glass capillaries formed into a cylindrical shape with one end gently tapered.
- Capillary plates have excellent linearity and high
precision yet offer selectable directivity, making them suitable for flow
control and particle sorting, etc.
- For over 50 years we have manufactured glass vacuum
devices such as photomultiplier tubes, which require special quartz glass
processing, high accuracy, optical polish, etc. We have applied this
extensive experience and knowledge to manufacturing flow cells.
- (Optical Phase Modulators)Spatial light modulator, is a reflective type
electrically-addressed pure phase modulator by using a CMOS (complementary
metal oxide semiconductor) technology for a direct and accurate voltage
Image splitting optics
- The image splitting optics provides one pair of dual
wavelength image to a single camera.
- MEMS mirrorMEMS mirror are an electromagnetically driven
mirror that incorporates our unique MEMS (micro-electro-mechanical systems)
technology. We achieved an ultra-miniature scale by mounting the magnet
beneath the mirror. Within a magnetic field generated by the magnet,
electrical current flowing in the coil surrounding the mirror produces a
Lorentz force based on Fleming’s rule that drives the mirror. Hamamatsu MEMS
mirrors offer a wide optical deflection angle and high mirror reflectivity
as well as low power consumption.
- The surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) substrate
enhances the Raman scattering light from molecules, making high-sensitive
Raman spectroscopic analysis possible. A chip of metallic nano/sub-micro
structure is mounted on Hamamatsu’s original handling plate to protect its
active area. The active area of the handling plate is of a well structure
for easily attaching solution or the like. It is noted this is a disposable
product and cannot be reused.
- Imaging system and image analysis software such as
high performance cameras.
- High performance cameras for imaging and image analysis.
A variety of products offer unique performance in spectral sensitivity,
spatial resolution and readout speed for needs in various applications.
- Variety of software products from standard software comes
with camera products to specialized software such as controlling peripheral
devices, image processing and image analysis.
- Systems to measure variety of light phenomena such as
weak luminescence, fluorescence and their kinetic changes.
- HAMAMATSU mini-spectrometers are polychromators
integrated with optical elements, an image sensor and a circuit. Light to be
measured is guided into the entrance port of ｔhrough an optical fiber and
the spectrum measured with the built-in image sensor is output from the USB
port to a PC for data acquisition.
- Real time multichannel spectrometers.
Luminescence efficiency measurement systems
- Evaluation systems for fluorescence/luminescence material
and device parameters.
Fluorescence lifetime/transient absorption analysis
- Measurement systems of multispectrum kinetic changes at
high sensitivity and high time resolution.
- Raman spectroscopy module which includes all the functions (excitation LD, polychromatic dispersion device, optical and control circuit systems) needed to perform Raman measurements.
Molecular orientation characteristic measurement system
- To develop high-efficiency OLED devices, the improvement
of light extraction efficiency is recognized as the important parameter, and
researchers have been aware of the importance to control and to evaluate the
molecular orientation of OLED devices.
- Light measurement systems for very fast kinetic changes.
Light level measurement
Photon detection units
- Photon detection units are photon counting units designed
to make low-light measurements at single photon levels without a
time-consuming measurement setup.
UV power meters
- The C9536/H9535 series are UV power meters that directly
measure UV light at specific wavelengths. The H9535 (sensor head) uses a UV
sensor (phototube) that ensures stable UV measurement over a long period of
operation and is calibrated in combination with the C9536 (controller) based
on NIST standards.
MEASUREMENT / ANALYSIS SYSTEMS
- Measurement and analysis systems utilizing
technologies of light detection and imaging.
Failure analysis systems
- Imaging systems for localizing low light photoemission
and thermal signal emitting semiconductor failures.
Failure analysis support software
- Failure analysis support software to narrow down failure
locations quickly and accurately by utilizing CAD layout data created at the
device design stage.
Plasma process monitors
- Plasma process monitors to monitor plasma emissions
during semiconductor manufacturing processes such as etching, sputtering and
LED evaluation systems
- LED evaluation systems to measure light distribution
chroma and color rendering properties of light-emitting devices such as
Digital slide scanners
- Rapid and high resolution scanner to convert pathology
glass slides to digital slides. The digital slide can be easily manipulated
to see any location at any magnification.
Drug screening systems
- High throughput cell-based kinetic assay systems for drug
- The C10066-10 Immunochromato-Reader makes rapid, high
sensitivity, quantitative measurements of color intensities for
red/blue-based immunochromatographic reagents.
Medical & Industrial measurement
Brain/tissue oxygen monitors
- These brain/tissue oxygen monitor systems measure
oxygenation in the brain or tissues continuously and noninvasively.
Blood vessels observation camera system
- Useful for observing the blood vessels in the epidermic area.
Medical & Industrial measurement
Thickness measurement systems
- Noncontact high precision thickness measurement systems
utilizing laser interferometry and spectrum interferometry.
Pinhole inspection unit
- Optical pinhole inspection unit
Pipe corrosion inspection line senseor
- An energy differentiation type radiation line sensor
designed for an efficient, non-invasive detection of pipe corrosion in
industrial plants such as oil, gas and petrochemical refineries.